Simple Steps To Getting Your Home Ready To sell
By Rachel Hogan
Thinking about listing your home, but nervous about the budget to get your home ready? No worries! Preparing your home for the market doesn’t have to be a daunting task. Here are a five simple, cost effective ideas on making your home stand-out on a budget!
1. Less is more! Pack up those personal items…you’re moving anyway! It’s important to showcase the space in your home and keep buyers focused during a showing. An uncluttered space also makes for better photos for the listing, and lightening your load makes it easier to accommodate a last minute showing!
2. Elbow grease! Deep cleaning is a must…and something sellers often overlook! Be sure to deep clean windows, baseboards, pet hair, and all the dark corners we ignore when we “live” in our homes. A clean and well organized home always shows well! Change your HVAC filters, re-caulk faucets and fixtures in bathroom. You want the buyer to feel confident that you care for, and maintain your home!
3. Let there be light! Paint dark rooms or paneling a bright/neutral color, make sure all the light bulbs are working and leave lights on…especially those hard to find pull-chains in the basement! As fall/winter arrives, buyers are driving by your home after work and possibly in the dark…remember to showcase the exterior of your home at night by leaving outside lights on until you head to bed!
4. Curb appeal can be the difference of drive-by or a showing. Spend a day or two weeding, cleaning gutters, edging and pruning…it makes a huge difference! No need to spend hundreds of dollars on hardscapes or expensive plants. Instead, place some pots of flowers and hanging baskets around porches and decks that you can take with you after the sale. Give a little extra love and attention to the front entrance/door…the buyer may be standing there for a few moments while their agent hunts for, and opens the lockbox.
5. Last, but not least, plan accordingly! Give yourself 30+ days to prepare. Work from a prioritized list and share this list with your agent, as we can often help categorize must do’s prior to listing versus items that can be worked on after listing the home. This can be a grueling process, and the stress of a short time frame can make everyone crabby! By staying on track and checking off items on your list, you’ll stay motivated and organized.
Good luck and happy selling!